Don’t let the FLU sneak up on you, get IMMUNISED
Annual flu vaccination is important:
· Protection from the previous vaccination lessens over time.
· The circulating influenza viruses can change and the strains in the vaccine usually change each year in response to the circulating virus pattern.
From 1st April , everyone from the age of 6 months is recommended to receive an annual influenza vaccine to reduce the spread of the virus, and for direct protection against severe illness.
Flu vaccinations are free for:
- Tamariki aged 6 months to 12 years old
- People aged 65 years and over
- Māori and Pacific people aged 55 years and over
- Pregnant people
- People who have a long-term medical condition like diabetes, asthma, or a heart condition (ages 6 months+)
- People with serious mental health or addiction needs
Please also note that the flu vaccinations are being offered even if you are not under the funded eligibility criteria. Please call the clinic at PH 09 418 3832 for any queries regarding cost that may apply and to book an appointment.
Vaccine strains:The circulating influenza viruses can alter and the strains in the vaccine usually change each year in response to the changing virus pattern. For 2023, the influenza strains included in the quadrivalent vaccines are:
• A/Sydney/5/2021 (H1N1) pdm09-like virus (new)
• A/Darwin/9/2021 (H3N2)-like virus
• B/Austria/1359417/2021-like virus
• B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus
NOTE: You can have any COVID-19 vaccination at the same time as your flu vaccine. There’s no need to leave a gap between these vaccines.
Common side effects of the flu vaccine
Some people don’t experience any side effects after a flu jab. But the most common reactions are:
- a sore arm, or pain, itching, or redness at the injection site (1 in 3 adults)
- aches and pains (1 in 10 adults)
- feeling feverish, tired, or unwell
These are normal responses to the vaccine.
You may be asked to wait 20 minutes after your vaccination so that treatment can be given quickly if a very rare, severe allergic reaction occurs. Allergic responses are extremely rare.
Flu vaccines available:
FLUAD Quad – non funded flu vaccine for 65 years or older
Alternatively, people over 65 can opt for the non-funded Fluad Quad vaccine. This is the only flu vaccine containing MF59 Adjuvant which is designed to help the body create more antibodies to help fight influenza.
Fluad Quad offers:
- Less chance of contracting flu compared with the standard flu vaccine
- Lower risk of being hospitalised with flu-related complications compared with the standard flu vaccine
- Longer protection. Antibody levels are higher at 12 months post vaccination , compared with the standard flu vaccine.
Please note that this is NOT a funded vaccine and a cost will be incurred. Please call the clinic at PH 09 418 3832 for any queries regarding fees that may apply and to book an appointment.